< Back to Employment Opportunities
Full-Time Maintenance Worker
Fayetteville Public Library
Reports To: Manager, Building Services
Location: Fayetteville Public Library
Rate of Pay: Starting at $15.38 - $17.00 per hour | 40 hours per week
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Retirement Savings Plan w/ Employer Match, Paid Time Off
Safety Sensitive: No
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
As a maintenance worker, you help create an experience that makes our community say, "I love Fayetteville Public Library!" When you work at FPL, you are working alongside a dedicated team that brings their passion and pride to all that they do. You share your technical and product knowledge with customers and other staff, contributing to the overall success of the Library. You relate easily to others, building rapport and collaborative relationships with both the staff and customers. You are able to communicate and interact with all customers, create a welcoming and inclusive experience, are a good listener and enjoy working with people. You have a passion for what you do and enrich the customer's experience by using your knowledge to determine the customer's needs and exceed their expectations. You are comfortable in a changing environment, with multitasking, and with learning new systems and procedures.
As a maintenance worker, you will enhance the customer experience by providing a superior level of cleaning quality and maintaining the library in like-new condition through excellent housekeeping and maintenance practices. In your role, you will assist with building, mechanical, and landscape maintenance. You understand that safety is our top priority and practice safe behaviors in everything that you do and assist in providing a safe and secure environment for the Library visitors, volunteers, and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Perform routine maintenance on mechanical equipment including the library's book conveyor system and in-house cleaning machines.
2. Assist in minor and major repairs and upgrades to all electrical, mechanical, plumbing, rooftop, security, and facilities related items.
3. Assist grounds keepers and assure landscape is clean and orderly including mowing, trimming, weeding, aerating and fertilizing lawns; replace plants as needed; set sprinklers; replace broken sprinkler heads; maintain ground maintenance equipment; trim branches that create hazardous situations.
4. Assist in the logistics of FPL sponsored events as well as other events in the building as directed by Manager, Building Services. Oversee meeting room setup and take down and work closely with the Lead Custodian.
5. Respond to communication from police, fire department, and security central station, and by FPL staff during both working and nonworking hours.
6. Supervise the recycling program and educate staff for improvement.
7. Assist in safety and security planning and implementation. Carry out emergency procedures.
8. Assist in writing action plans for facility upkeep, e.g., painting schedules, carpet cleaning schedules, strip and wax schedules, etc.
9. Serve as senior-most staff member and assume delegation of the Facilities Department as assigned.
10. Perform custodial cleaning duties as needed or assigned.
11. Serve as a primary point of contact for facility related emergencies on a predetermined departmental schedule.
12. Demonstrate knowledge of safety equipment and procedures. Carry out job responsibilities in a manner that minimizes the risk of injury to yourself, other staff, vendors, customers, and the Library. Maintain all equipment in like new condition.
13. Help orient new staff, ensuring a smooth acclimation to the library and our culture. Train staff members as assigned. Monitor volunteers on special projects as needed. Report training issues to Building Services Manager.
14. Effectively communicate to customers regarding a variety of topics including, but not limited to, library products and services, policies, responsibilities, and code of conduct. Blend creativity, problem solving, and decision making to positively impact the customer experience, de-escalate any negative situations and resolve customer questions and concerns.
15. Monitor library physical security. Report safety and security issues to the manager. Prepare accurate and detailed incident reports as assigned.
16. Display excellent time management skills, attention to detail, problem solving skills, strong organizational skills and the ability to work proactively to balance multiple tasks and prioritize work. Complete work at an appropriate pace with a sense of urgency. Seek out areas that require cleaning and take initiative to complete task.
17. Conduct special projects as assigned.
18. Protect library assets and ensure building security by monitoring security gates, adhering to library policies, and following appropriate closing procedure.
19. Model and support library brand at all times. Represent your department on various library committees as assigned.
20. Assume personal responsibility for the building's condition and solve minor issues and problems as they arise.
21. Report to work punctually, dressed in approved uniform, and fully prepared for each scheduled shift.
22. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
23. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver's License.
Enrolled or eligible to enroll in an apprenticeship program in an electrical, HVAC, plumbing or similar program.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is continuously required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms; regularly required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear; and frequently required to sit; occasionally required to taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds; frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds; regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision; distance vision; and color vision.
All library positions require customer-focused service to both internal and external customers, flexibility, teamwork, punctual and regular attendance, and compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
1. Mental alertness and adaptability to office and field area work routines. Equivalent to four years high school or GED, plus 3 years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in the building and construction trades or related areas.
2. Proficient in the use of all construction tools, power tools, and light lawn equipment. Knowledge of basic HVAC, electrical, carpentry, painting, and plumbing principles
3. Intermediate language skills including the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, blueprints, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
4. Must have ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing. Ability to read and understand simple instructions, simple correspondence, notes, letters and memos.
5. Basic mathematical skills including the ability to add and subtract, and to measure weights and volumes such as fluid ounces, gallons, and pounds. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
6. Basic reasoning skills including the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions, ability to plan and prioritize short-term and long-term tasks, and ability to problem solve.
7. Minimum computer skills including the ability to send and receive e-mail and give reports and up-dates via e-mail.
8. Intermediate mechanical skills including the ability to operate power tools independently and under supervision, ability to help maintain library facilities and equipment, and ability to troubleshoot.
9. Basic customer service skills including the ability to interact with external customers using exemplary customer service skills.
10. Must be able to handle/interact with all chemicals used (i.e. bleach, wax, etc).
Other Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to work a flexible schedule as assigned that includes evenings, weekends, and holiday shifts is required.
2. Ability to work both independently and as an effective and valued team member.
3. Strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
4. Ability to prioritize workload, follow-up on assignments, direct and perform quality maintenance services.
5. Must carry a cell phone during both work and non-work hours
6. Ability to learn and carry out emergency procedures.
7. Multilingual skills a plus.
1. Ability to consistently tolerate an office environment with typical HVAC performance, ability to function well with the noise level typically associated with an office environment. Must be able to occasionally tolerate some loud noise from large equipment such as cleaning, HVAC, power washers, drills, leaf blowers, etc.
2. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions, risk of electrical shock; occasionally exposed to work in high, precarious places (rooftop, catwalk, etc.), fumes or airborne particles, wet or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please send completed PDF application, résumé and cover letter to:
Ramonica Duarte, HR Director, Fayetteville Public Library, 401 W. Mountain St., Fayetteville, AR 72701.
Application materials may be emailed to Ramonica at email@example.com.
A completed PDF application must be received to be considered for this position.