Reading Roadshow Volunteer
Department: Community Engagement
Location: Local preschool classrooms & facilities in the Fayetteville community
Read aloud to groups of pre-school children, using theme-based story time bags.
1. Read 2-3 theme-based books from prepared story time bags
2. Interact with children in a fun and engaging way through conversation and/or songs
3. Explain words or situations and answer questions, as necessary
SKILls & abilities
1. Engaging reading skills
2. Familiarity with Children’s reading material
3. Desire to teach and interact with children on behalf of the library
4. Must be able to commit to one story time a month for six months or longer
5. Must have dependable transportation and be punctual, with the ability to notify department of scheduling changes prior to scheduled reading
One-on-one training on program specifics, materials and schedule will be provided. The opportunity to shadow a staff member or existing Reading Roadshow volunteer, prior to first solo reading can be arranged if needed or requested. An introduction to the teacher, classroom, and facility will be provided.
Sharing the love of reading and the importance of the library with our community’s smallest readers is invaluable! You will be working as part of a team to accomplish the library’s vision and mission for our community. A letter of reference is always available upon request.
Fill out the Volunteer Application Form and state you are interested in Reading Roadshow.