Department: Food Service
Reports To: Manager, Food Service
Location: Fayetteville Public Library
Rate of Pay: $13.75 per hour | 20 hours per week
Benefits: Paid Time Off (Holiday, Sick and Vacation)
Safety Sensitive: No
As a food service worker, you help create an experience that makes our community say, "I love Fayetteville Public Library!" When you work at FPL, you are working alongside a dedicated team that brings their passion and pride to all that they do. You share your technical and product knowledge with customers and other staff, contributing to the overall success of the Library. You relate easily to others, building rapport and collaborative relationships with both the staff and customers. You are able to communicate and interact with all customers, create a welcoming and inclusive experience, are a good listener and enjoy working with people. You have a passion for what you do and enrich the customer's experience by using your knowledge to determine the customer's needs and exceed their expectations. You are comfortable in a changing environment, with multitasking, and with learning new systems and procedures.
As a food service worker, you are responsible for preparing and/or building food items while providing exceptional customer service and adhering to food safety, food handling, and sanitation procedures. You make the Deli experience interactive and engaging by enthusiastically sharing your knowledge about our products.
1. Proactively greet and establish rapport with patrons, enthusiastically engaging them in conversations about all of our products and services. Provide exemplary customer service in-person at the Deli and at all locations throughout the library. Answer directional and general questions about library programs and services.
2. Effectively communicate to patrons regarding a variety of topics including, but not limited to, library products and services, policies, responsibilities, and code of conduct. Blend creativity, problem solving, and decision making to positively impact the customer experience, de-escalate any negative situations and resolve customer questions and concerns. Relay relevant information to supervisor.
3. Ask open ended questions to assess, understand, and ascertain the customer needs, determine how to tailor your approach, and provide recommendations using your institutional knowledge to connect our customer with the right solution.
4. Accurately conduct financial transactions in cash, check, or credit/debit card, and using an online point-of-sale system.
5. Prepare and serve all food and products in accordance with the Deli's recipes, portioning, cooking, and serving standards as well as health code. Ensure exceptional product quality standards.
6. Utilize approved food recipes and production standards to ensure proper quality, serving temperatures, and standard portion control.
7. Store food in designated areas following wrapping, dating, food safety, and rotation procedures.
8. Carry trays, containers, etc. of food to and from workstations, stove, and refrigerator in accordance with safety standards.
9. Unload, receive, and appropriately store deliveries of Deli products and supplies and place in designated areas as assigned.
10. Complete cleaning tasks, to include but not limited, to clean and sanitize equipment and work areas, keep floor areas clean, wash dishes, recycle boxes, and dispose of trash as assigned. Place food waste in appropriate receptacle for disposal or recycle. Assure compliance with all sanitation and safety requirements.
11. Recognize and adhere to all sanitation, safety, security policies, and procedures to provide a safe environment for all.
12. Demonstrate knowledge of safety equipment and procedures. Carry out job responsibilities in a manner that minimizes the risk of injury to yourself, other staff, vendors, customers, and the Library. Maintain all equipment in like new condition.
13. Display excellent time management skills, attention to detail, problem solving skills, strong organizational skills and the ability to work proactively to balance multiple tasks and prioritize work. Complete work at an appropriate pace with a sense of urgency. Seek out areas that require cleaning and take initiative to complete task.
14. Assist with library services, programs, and outreach opportunities as needed.
15. Help orient new staff, ensuring a smooth acclimation to the library and our culture. Train staff members as assigned.
16. Conduct special projects as assigned.
17. Model and support library brand at all times. Represent your department on various library committees as assigned.
18. Protect library assets and ensure building security by monitoring security gates, adhering to library policies, and following appropriate closing procedure.
19. Assume personal responsibility for building maintenance and solving minor issues and problems.
20. Report to work punctually, dressed in approved uniform, and fully prepared for each scheduled shift.
21. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is continuously required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; regularly required to reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear; and frequently required to taste or smell; occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds; continuously lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision.
1. Ability to work a flexible schedule as assigned that includes evenings, weekends, and holiday shifts is required.
2. Ability to work both independently and as an effective and valued team member.
3. Strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
4. Ability to learn and carry out emergency procedures.
5. Multilingual skills a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Food Safety Certification
1. Mental alertness and adaptability to office and field area work routines. Equivalent to four years high school or GED, plus 12 to 18 months related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Formal training in food service industry is a plus.
2. Intermediate language skills including the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
3. Must have ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing. Ability to read and understand simple instructions, simple correspondence, notes, letters and memos.
4. Basic mathematical skills including the ability to add and subtract, and to measure weights and volumes such as fluid ounces, gallons, and pounds.
5. Basic reasoning skills including the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions, ability to plan and prioritize short-term and long-term tasks, and ability to problem solve.
6. Basic computer skills including the ability to send and receive e-mail, give reports and up-dates via e-mail, and proficiency in basic computer applications and POS systems.
7. Must be able to obtain food safety certification.
8. Must be able to handle/interact with all chemicals used (i.e. disinfectant, sanitizer, etc.).
Ability to consistently tolerate working in a kitchen, deli, food service environment and ability to function well with the noise level typically associated with food service, customer service environment. Must be able to occasionally tolerate some loud noise from large equipment such as dishwasher, walk-in coolers, vents, hoods, etc.
All library positions require customer-focused service to both internal and external customers, flexibility, teamwork, punctual and regular attendance, and compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Please send completed application, availability sheet, résumé and cover letter to:
Ramonica Duarte, HR Director, Fayetteville Public Library, 401 W. Mountain St., Fayetteville, AR 72701.
Application materials may be emailed to Ramonica at firstname.lastname@example.org.