Marketing & Communications Assistant – Full Time
Department: Marketing & Communications
Reports To: Manager, Marketing & Communications
Location: Fayetteville Public Library
Rate of Pay: Starting at $14 – $15 per hour | 40 hours per week
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Retirement Savings Plan with Employer Match, Paid Time Off
Safety Sensitive: No
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
As a Marketing & Communications Assistant, you help create an experience that makes our community say, "I love Fayetteville Public Library!" When you work at FPL, you are working alongside a dedicated team that brings their passion and pride to all that they do. You share your technical and product knowledge with customers and other staff, contributing to the overall success of the Library. You relate easily to others, building rapport and collaborative relationships with both the staff and customers. You are able to communicate and interact with all customers, create a welcoming and inclusive experience, are a good listener and enjoy working with people. You have a passion for what you do and enrich the customer's experience by using your knowledge to determine the customer's needs and exceed their expectations. You are comfortable in a changing environment, with multitasking, and with learning new systems and procedures.
As a Marketing & Communications Assistant you will handle a variety of tasks related to internal and external marketing and help in the day-to-day activities of the Marketing & Communications Department. You will support the efforts to maintain the voice, messaging, design aesthetic, and external brand of the Library so that a positive image is portrayed, and public interest is piqued through various promotional and publicity activities. This includes, but not limited to, advertising, news media, local/regional media placements, service announcements, self-generated content, and storytelling. You will assist in the management of internal marketing channels such as the Library website and social media presence across a variety of platforms as well as the day-to-day media/web/graphics operations of the Marketing & Communications Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepare graphic and typographic elements to effectively communicate information about library events and updates, including monthly press releases and patron newsletters.
2. Communicate with necessary departments to ensure publicized messaging is aligned with established objectives.
3. Search for and ensure licensing of appropriate stock images for specific graphic needs.
4. Develop graphics and alter existing images for a variety of platforms, such as web, social media and video.
5. Comply with logo guidelines and maintain library brand in design work.
6. Assist in the execution of marketing requests from FPL departments. Review requests for accuracy and accurately inform other members of marketing & communications team.
7. Communicate with internal departments to understand the best marketing to satisfy their needs, and make appropriate recommendations.
8. Solve problems, identify concerns, and communicate with marketing & communications manager to facilitate resolution as required.
9. Provide support to marketing & communications team and assist with day-to-day tasks and activities as needed.
10. Assist with creation and maintenance of strategic content calendars.
11. Act as the voice of the brand across all library social media platforms by nurturing engagement through posting, liking, commenting, sharing, responding to DMs, etc. in conjunction with FPL staff across departments.
12. Help create engaging content for all library social media platforms and website. Monitor analytics with team to identify viable ideas and areas to optimize.
13. Research developing social media tactics and new digital trends. Stay updated on changing communication technology.
14. Update website as needed.
15. Display excellent time management skills, attention to detail, problem solving skills, strong organizational skills and the ability to work proactively to balance multiple tasks and prioritize work. Complete work at an appropriate pace with a sense of urgency.
16. Help orient new staff, ensuring a smooth acclimation to the library and our culture. Train staff members as assigned.
17. Conduct special projects as assigned.
18. Represent your department on various library committees as assigned.
19. Assume personal responsibility for building maintenance and solving minor issues and problems.
20. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
1. High school diploma and two years of college, plus 12 to 18 months of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Advanced computer skills including advanced knowledge of web browsers and web development, Intranets and office productivity software.
3. Experience in Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop and ability to create basic design, layout, and edit.
4. Ability to independently learn new software packages and relevant technologies, teach basic computer skills to peers and operate vinyl cutting machines and standard office equipment.
5. Experience with social media platforms, especially Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn as well as the willingness to learn new social media platforms.
6. Intermediate math skills, including the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
7. Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
8. High reasoning skills including the ability to solve practical problems and deal with several variables where only limited standardization exists and to be able to communicate this information to staff.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
1. Ability to work a flexible schedule as assigned that includes evenings, weekends and holiday shifts is required.
2. Perform both independently and as an effective and valued team member.
3. Strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
4. Work under pressure on multiple projects with frequent interruptions and tight deadlines.
5. Must have significant initiative and drive.
6. Ability to provide own cell phone.
7. Multilingual skills a plus.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms; and occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds; frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision.
All library positions require customer-focused service to both internal and external customers, flexibility, teamwork, punctual and reliable attendance, and compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Ability to tolerate moderate noise that comes from an office environment with typical HVAC performance, constant visitors, telephone calls, computers, and printers and light traffic and the ability to tolerate an increased level of noise during programming events.
Please send completed application, résumé and cover letter to:
Fayetteville Public Library
401 W. Mountain Street
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Application materials may be emailed to Ramonica at email@example.com.