Food Service Manager – Full Time
Department: Food Service
Reports To: Executive Director
Location: Fayetteville Public Library
Rate of Pay: Starting at $21.00 - $24.99 per hour | 40 hours per week
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Retirement Savings Plan with Employer Match, Paid Time Off
Safety Sensitive: No
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
As Food Service Manager, you help create an experience that makes our community say, "I love Fayetteville Public Library!" As a manager, you will lead by exemplary example. When you work at FPL, you are working alongside a dedicated team that brings their passion and pride to all that they do. You share your technical and product knowledge with customers and other staff, contributing to the overall success of the Library. You relate easily to others, building rapport and collaborative relationships with both the staff and customers. You are able to communicate and interact with all customers, create a welcoming and inclusive experience, are a good listener and enjoy working with people. You have a passion for what you do and enrich the customer's experience by using your knowledge to determine the customer's needs and exceed their expectations. You are comfortable in a changing environment, with multitasking, and with learning new systems and procedures.
As Food Service Manager, under general direction, you will develop, organize, and manage all aspects, activities and staff within the food services department. These activities include providing exemplary frontline customer service, establishing optimal workflow and staffing, communicating library policy to staff and customers as well as evaluating and improving department functions. You are an entrepreneurial-minded business owner who takes pride in maximizing the daily operations of the food services department. You are an expert at driving sales by maximizing overall department productivity and building customer loyalty through a superior guest experience. Because you own the controllable elements of your department’s P&L, you are skilled at analyzing reporting and daily sales trends to make real-time, innovative business decisions in order to achieve department financial goals. You will also hire, train, coach, develop, and dismiss Food Service staff in support of these functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Proactively greet and establish rapport with patrons, enthusiastically engaging them in conversations about all of our products and services. Provide exemplary customer service in-person in the food service departments and at all locations throughout the library. Answer directional and general questions about library programs and services. Lead Food Service staff to also consistently execute these behaviors. Staff Food Service areas as needed.
2. Effectively communicate to patrons regarding a variety of topics including, but not limited to, library products and services, policies, responsibilities, and code of conduct. Blend creativity, problem solving, and decision making to positively impact the customer experience, de-escalate any negative situations and resolve customer questions and concerns. Lead and train staff to execute these same behaviors. Monitor customer feedback. Diffuse difficult, volatile, and/or inappropriate customer situations, keeping safety in mind.
3. Ask open ended questions to assess, understand, and ascertain customer needs, determine how to tailor your approach, and provide recommendations using your institutional knowledge to connect our customer with the right solution. This includes both routine and complex patron inquiries. Train and coach Food Service staff to do the same.
4. Direct and evaluate Food Service workflow to continually improve work processes. Establish and monitor performance metrics, track and analyze data, and prepare reports. Identify opportunities to improve efficiency and effectiveness, document procedures, test and implement solutions. Develop and implement policies, procedures, and work standards for the food service department (i.e. HACCP plans, etc.). Take action as needed or necessary.
5. Prepare and administer annual department budget and establish budget priorities.
6. Orient new staff in Food Service areas, ensuring a smooth acclimation to the Library and our culture. Coordinate training of new staff members. Seek out ways to train, develop, and coach Food Service staff in the moment to enhance their job performance and skills. Hire, schedule, supervise, train, develop, coach, evaluate, assign work, monitor, and dismiss Food Service staff and interns. Ensure that the department is staffed with qualified personnel and oversee their continued professional development.
7. Accurately conduct financial transactions in cash, check, or credit/debit card, and using an online point-of-sale system.
8. Create, prepare and serve all food and products in accordance with the Deli's recipes, portioning, cooking, and serving standards as well as health code. Ensure exceptional product quality standards.
9. Utilize approved food recipes and production standards to ensure proper quality, serving temperatures, and standard portion control. Train staff to also execute these standards. Create new recipes and food offerings, as appropriate, for food service departments.
10. Store food in designated areas following wrapping, dating, food safety, and rotation procedures.
11. Carry trays, containers, etc. of food to and from workstations, stove, and refrigerator in accordance with safety standards.
12. Unload, receive, and appropriately store deliveries of Deli products and supplies and place in designated areas as assigned.
13. Keep food service areas in opening day condition. Complete cleaning tasks, to include but not limited, to clean and sanitize equipment and work areas, keep floor areas clean, wash dishes, recycle boxes, and dispose of trash as assigned. Place food waste in appropriate receptacle for disposal or recycle. Assure compliance with all sanitation and safety requirements.
14. Recognize and adhere to all sanitation, safety, security policies, and procedures to provide a safe environment for all.
15. Demonstrate knowledge of safety equipment and procedures. Carry out job responsibilities in a manner that minimizes the risk of injury to yourself, other staff, vendors, customers, and the Library. Maintain all equipment in like new condition.
16. Communicate and interpret library policies and procedures for Food Service staff. Hold meetings as necessary. Identify and communicate staff ideas and concerns to the department director and other library managers. Work with other teams across the library to implement services, programs and procedures that assist with the delivery of exemplary customer service. Recommend and respond to requests from other departments regarding access and services offered in food service department. Partner with outside vendors and trainers for programing opportunities.
17. Coordinate with Marketing to create marketing collateral to promote the services of the food service department (Catering, Deli, Kitchen, etc.)
18. Ensure that the Food Service equipment is in proper working order and report the requirement for repair or service. Recommend requirements for new or additional equipment to enhance opportunities for the Deli and Kitchen and the system as a whole. Keep all equipment in like new condition.
19. Display excellent time management skills, attention to detail, problem solving skills, strong organizational skills and the ability to work proactively to balance multiple tasks and prioritize work. Complete work at an appropriate pace with a sense of urgency.
20. Work as a member of the management team to evaluate and improve overall library services to resolve shared issues, streamline workflow efficiency and create, support and implement library policies and procedures. Serve on/chair library committees. Assist with library services, programs, and outreach opportunities as needed. Represent food service department and the Library in public, media, Library Board of Trustees meetings, and professional associations. Seek out opportunities and utilize networking events to promote recognition and use of the Deli, Kitchen, and the Library.
21. Pursue professional development, which may involve travel, to keep informed of current and emerging culinary, catering, customer service, and library trends. Provide assistance and coaching to colleagues. Maintain professional and technical knowledge through attendance of educational workshops, review of professional publications, establishment of networks, and participation in professional organizations.
22. Assume personal responsibility for the building's condition and solve minor issues and problems as they arise.
23. Complete special projects as assigned.
24. Protect library assets and ensure building security adhering to library policies and following appropriate closing procedure. Learn and carry out emergency procedures. Provide leadership in response to emergency situations.
25. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is continuously required to stand; regularly required to walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear, taste or smell; and occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
1. Ability to work a flexible schedule as assigned that includes evenings, weekends, and holiday shifts is required.
2. Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure and manage multiple projects with frequent interruptions and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment while demonstrating flexibility and adaptability.
3. Ability to work both independently and as an effective and valued team member.
4. Strong interpersonal skills and leadership skills including a willingness to consistently provide superior customer service, the ability to react appropriately under pressure, and the ability to apply good judgement in ambiguous situations.
5. Demonstrate results-oriented leadership including the ability to effectively lead a team to achieve performance goals and objectives.
6. Ability to provide own cell phone.
7. Multilingual skills a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver's License
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Food Safety Certification
1. High school diploma or general education degree (GED) plus 2 years of related experience and/or training in the food service industry, and 2 years of related management experience in the food service industry, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. High language skills including ability to read and understand documents such as policy manuals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions in person-to-person and group situations with customers, clients, general public and other employees of the organization.
3. Basic math skills including the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
4. Financial analysis skills sufficient to interpret operating statements and other financial reporting data, manage budgets, and control inventory.
5. High reasoning skills including the ability to solve practical problems and deal with several variables where only limited standardization exists and the ability to communicate this information.
6. High computer skills including knowledge of office productivity software, ability to operate standard office equipment, and proficiency in basic computer applications and POS systems.
7. High mechanical skills including ability to operate kitchen and deli equipment independently and under supervision, help with maintenance of kitchen and deli equipment, and have basic troubleshooting skills.
8. Excellent customer service skills including the ability to resolve difficult customer situations.
9. Must be able to obtain food safety certification.
10. Must be able to handle/interact with all food and chemicals used (i.e. disinfectant, sanitizer, etc.).
Ability to consistently tolerate working in a kitchen, deli, food service environment and ability to function well with the noise level typically associated with food service, customer service environment. Must be able to occasionally tolerate some loud noise from large equipment such as dishwashers, walk-in coolers, vents, hoods, etc.
All Library positions require customer-focused service to both internal and external customers, flexibility, teamwork, reliable attendance and compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws. In addition, all supervisory positions require the employee to demonstrate leadership competencies by exhibiting appropriate role modeling and setting proper examples.
Please send completed application, résumé and cover letter to:
Fayetteville Public Library
401 W. Mountain Street
Fayetteville, AR 72701