The VAC (Volunteer Action Center) P.A.L. program is a free, student-led literacy mentor program through the University of Arkansas.
P.A.L.'s mission is to foster a passion for reading and promote personal and intellectual growth for elementary students through meaningful mentor relationships with college students.
P.A.L. hopes to encourage growth in literacy among students through facilitated reading activities led by mentors who empower a love of reading for future generations.
+ Students demonstrate a newfound passion for reading.
+ Students demonstrate improved confidence in their reading abilities.
+ Students demonstrate personal and intellectual growth through social and emotional wellness development, guided self-reflection, and improved literacy skills.
+ Students form a meaningful relationship with a college-aged mentor.
+ Elementary school students are matched with college-aged volunteers.
- We refer to these college volunteers as “PALs”.
- Matches are made in conjunction with partner site.
+ PALs attend monthly training sessions where they are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to achieve the program’s desired outcomes.
+ Meetings between PALs and students are held weekly.
- This time is used for reading, conversation and activities that support literacy.
+ We receive constant feedback about our program to best tailor it to the needs of students.
- Both mentees and mentors in the program are surveyed once a month to assess the success of their mentoring relationship and the effectiveness of the program.
- Communication with the partner site is frequent and consistent.
+ Our activities are inclusive, diverse and engaging.
- Activities and worksheets will reinforce our expected outcomes.
- Our books cover a wide range of topics to ensure that each student can read books that they find interesting.
Contact email@example.com for more information.